Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Life Lessons for School Pictures

School pictures happen every year. Back when I was in grade school, you only had your picture taken once a year. Now they are taken twice a year. It is really stressful for girls - hair; what dress should I wear; remember not to blink; do I have any milk or cracker crumbs on my face; don't touch my hair. I was 5 going on 6......endless worries. Our class lines up in single file and we walk to the gym. The boys start playing around and you are trying to keep them from touching your hair. Then some adult hands you a comb. Everyone gets one. No mirror? You're not sure if you need to comb your hair or not. The stress is unbearable ................... For my first school picture which was my kindergarten picture, I

wore a pretty dress with some lace. Put on my favorite necklace - it was gold with red stones - beautiful. I had curled my hair with pin curls the night before, so my hair was curly. Now I was being lead to the stool - it was my turn. I sat down on a stool, they said: "look at the camera" and I'm thinking 'don't blink'
Weeks later we get our school pictures and voila, this is my kindergarten picture for the 53-54 school year. I thought it was pretty cool...................

Life Lesson - How to Make Your Eyes Sparkle for Picture Taking

It was the 54-55 school year. I was going into the second semester of the 1st Grade (remember, I am a mid-termer) and school pictures were about to begin. I was 6, soon to be 7. I had the hair curling down pat - just twirl my hair around my finger, slip off and bobby pin it. Then, my mother asked me if I knew how to make my eyes sparkle for when I got my school picture taken. I told her that I thought carrots made your eyes sparkle. She just laughed and said, Donna Jo, let me show you how to make your eyes sparkle. So the lesson began............
My mother said, just look at an object and blur your vision without shutting your eyes. Sort of like when you are mad and giving someone that 'look' except smile, but just a little. Or, quint without shutting your eyes. So, I practiced and with her guidance, perfected my 'sparkle' eye look.


Picture day was still stressful. Trying not to let my hair get messed up. Remember to make my eyes sparkle and for heaven sakes, don't blink. Got in single file and headed for the gym. Boys start goofing around - really! Don't they ever grow up? Weeks later, I receive my 1st grade school pictures. Took them home and Mother opened the packet. My 1st grade picture was my best school picture ever. As you can see, my eyes sparkled......... 





Now it is the 55-56 school year and it's that time again - school pictures.........I was much older and wiser, after all, I was going into the 2nd semester of 2nd grade. I realized that gaudy jewelry might be a bit much so no jewelry for me. Maybe my hair was a bit too curly last year so I went for the bigger curls. And, just maybe I would smile a little bigger this time.

So off to school I went, all dressed up for my school picture. Soon, it was time to head for the gym. Got in single file (the boys still acted stupid), but I could not wait to get my free comb.  
Yes, a free comb. Kept thinking, please remember - don't let my eyes blink. Set on the stool and looked at the camera. Whoops, think I forgot to make my eyes sparkle, but at least I didn't blink. Several weeks later, got my packet and took it home to my mother. Here is my 2nd grade picture.  



3 comments:

  1. The worse thing was getting to school and then remembering that it was "Picture Day." Totally unprepared - nothing pretty, bad hair day to start with, and probably a stupid pimple blaringly obvious somewhere. Then it became "What You See Is What You Get" Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures, Donna, great pictures! I have my grade school pictures and as you might suspect I looked totally stupid. I had a strange stupid smile; I didn't know how to smile. And, no, we guys never do grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Linda and Paul... Yes, 'Picture Day' was just another childhood trauma - hahhaha. At least we were all in the same boat..............

    ReplyDelete